Spring is just around the corner, and there are many things you can do to get your home ready for the new season and warmer weather. Watchdog Security Spring Home Maintenance and Safety Tips From general spring home maintenance like checking smoke and fire alarms to spring-cleaning and installing a home security system, here are a few ways to prepare your home and keep your family safe.
It’s the perfect time to check the batteries on any alarms in your home. Check and replace your fire alarm, carbon monoxide alarm and home security system’s batteries to make sure that they are functioning optimally. Once your alarm systems have new batteries, it’s time to start on spring cleaning.
Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind while engaging in spring home maintenance:
- Wear a mask or ventilate your home when cleaning. Make sure carbon monoxide alarms and your home security system are in good working order before you clean with heavy chemicals as well.
- Take care when moving furniture or appliances when cleaning.
- Do not leave cleaning products out, especially around young children.
- Inspect and clean out gutters.v
- When using ladders, make sure the legs are on solid ground.
- Use the 4:1 rule: for every four feet of ladder height, keep the latter one foot from the base of the surface it is leaning against.
After the last of the snow has melted, it will be time to get the outside of your home prepared for spring. Home Maintenance in your yard is just as important as the work in your home. Make sure that your lawnmower or power tools are functioning properly and check to be sure the cords haven’t frayed.
Here are a few other tips for working outdoors:
Keeping your home and family safe is a priority. Don’t forget to take care and take your time with spring home maintenance! Once your home and home security systems are ready for spring, you’ll be able to enjoy the warmer weather with peace of mind.